What is Psychotherapy/Counselling?
Psychotherapy/counselling is a form of one to one therapy, which is concentrated specifically on you, your experiences, your thoughts/feelings and getting you to where you want to be in your life. The aim of therapy is to allow you the space to discuss issues you face, gain self-awareness, create growth and facilitate personal development. As an experienced and skilled therapist, Emma provides a safe space and supports you to:
- Work through specific challenges you may be facing.
- Deveop an awareness of patterms which are causing difficulties in your life and/or relationships.
- Interact with those patterns in new and more helpful ways.
- Understand and heal the source of these patters.
Who is Therapy For?
Therapy is for EVERYONE. People usually come to therapy, to work through specific challenges they face, to find happiness, peace, personal growth or to get a handle on patterns of behaviours/habits which are causing them discomfort or just not serving them.
My Therapeutic Approach
I am an integrative psychotherapist. This means that I draw on differentschools of therapy in order to offer a tailored experience to each client, which meets their specific and unique needs. My therapeutic practice is embedded in the Humanistic Existential approach. This simply means that I believe you hold the power to change and to learn how to respond to difficult life events, in healthier and more positive ways. I also rely heavily on Mindfullness Based Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (MCBT) and Solution Focused Therapy (SFT) in order to support clients with finding direction and learning the skills and coping strategies they need to address challenges they face.
In sessions with clients, I like to do three things:
- Understand the current situation which brought you to therapy and what your goals for therapy are.
- Explore your past to gain an understanding of your childhood and any significant events and how they may have been carried forward into your adult life.
- At this point, I like to take a solution focused approach and collaborate with you to discover how you might realise your goals. Usually this process happens organically.
I am non-judgemental, approachable and truly curious about all my clients and I hold a deep desire to empower and support.
Finding the right therapist for you, can take time and you might need to kiss a few frogs before you find the right one for you. Contact me today to see if I am the frog for you!